Wednesday 18 July 2018

My Jeeves - Velayudham



The year was 1975. I was 25 years old and was in a cozy job in my favourite city Chennai. Weekends were packed with activities with friends. I was enjoying my life as a bachelor.

One day as I was about leave my office I received a call to see the head of my unit – The Geneal Manager. He was casual but soon he came to the point. He was contemplating to transfer me to one of our Branches in a remote place in Bengal called Disergarh. This was a border town between Bengal and Bihar.  It was an attractive offer – a chauffeur driven car, a semi furnished accommodation in Asansol which was the closest town to Disergarh and 30% increase in salary as outstation allowance. I decided to accept the offer on one major point which attracted me – I would be close to the customer and would be the first point of contact. I was looking for such an opportunity. Also having grown up in Neyveli an industrial town I had not special affinity for Chennai then.

I settled down in my new assignment in September 1975. Soon I picked up some South Indian friends at the nearby Indian Iron and Steel Company, Burnpur. The Bengali families in my block were very friendly and often I received wonderful food from them. But running a house was not my cup of tea. I had difficulty in adjusting to the local food. Cleaning the house, washing the clothes etc was a nightmare to me. I did try a few local helpers but lack of local language  as always a problem.
My Parents in down South in Thanjavur were aware of my problems. They promised to send me a good helper from down South after training him. Then I got the news about Velayudham ready for Asansol. I picked him up at Howrah station and brought him to Asansol.

Velayudham tall and lanky was 21 years of age. He was basically from Kerala but could speak both Malayalam and Tamil fluently. He had worked over 5 years in Nagapattinam a coastal town in Tamil Nadu and hence had the fluency over Tamil. Soon he settled down to his work. He kept the house clean, washed my clothes, pressed them beautifully and above all gave me homely food which I missed so much in Asansol. Later I learn that he had learnt all that cooking from my mother in Thanjavur. He wold grind the ingredients for Idli and Dosa every week and most of the days I would have ot dosas for breakfast. 

His fame soon spread among the Tamil bachelors in Burnpur and I began a great entertainer serving delicious south Indian food in the week ends. Soon Majumders my upstaits neighbours who helped me a lot in Asansol wanted Velayudhams services for a day as they had special guests in their house. He served the entire gathering with delicious masala dosai. In about 3 months time I found him picking up Bengali and conversing with all the locals. He was one of the sought after customer at the provision store opposite my apartments run by the Dutta brothers. He was getting requests on almost weekly basis for making Dosas in someone’s house. I did not mind him making some extra bugs as he was fully taking care of my needs. One day as I was standing in my  balcony I saw a fancy car driving slowly and parking in front of my apartment. Soon I noticed that the visitor was to my house. A well dressed person introduced himself politely as one from a well known family and asked me if I could spare the services of Velayudham for 3 days for a family wedding in their house. Fortunately I was going on a long tour around the same time and I readily agreed. Later Velayudham told me that they provided him with a modern kitchen and all the assistants he wanted and made dosas and iddlis for the guests for 2 full days.

I got married on 17th May 1978. My wife told me politely but firmly that she was not interested in having a male cook at the apartment. She was keen to take care of the house all by herself. So before I went to Chennai for my wedding I told Velayudham that I may not require his services. My mother wanted him back in Thanjavur and so I asked him to get back to Thanjavur. I was totally surprised by his answer. He told me in no uncertain terms –“ Sir, I do not have any relatives down South. I lost my Parents early and I lost touch with my only brother some years back. Also I have suffered a lot in my childhood. Only now I am seeing some money. This place has lots of money and I just don’t want to leave this place”. I gave into his wish.

 Soon he landed up as a chief cook in one of the restaurants in Burnpur. He would visit me at least once a month. I could make out that he was making good money as he looked prosperous. He had great confidence in him. One day he told me that he got married to a local Bengali girl. He never brought the bride despite my wife requesting him a couple of times.

As the years rolled by my contact with him slowed down. One day he landed at my apartment and told me that he has a great news for me. He then told me the setting up of his own hotel in the Burnpur market. I was so happy that I was partly responsible for promoting an entrepreneur. The last time I met Velayudham was in late 1983 when I left Asansol. By then he was a prosperous hotel owner. Maybe he has a chain of hotels now. I really do not know .



No comments:

Post a Comment