Saturday 5 April 2014

My Father's 1947 Model Renault Car


 

While going through old family pictures I came across this interesting photo taken probably in the year 1955. Father was serving as Municipal Engineer at Karaikudi at that time. This photo was taken at CECRI (Central Electro Chemical Research Institue, Karaikudi. The institute under CSIR was established at Karaikudi in the year 1953.)
 
 

In the picture from left to right is Ms. Sharada Menon, a family friend who was working as a Scientist at CECRI, my elder brother Roop sitting on the hood of the car, my mother and then my dad. One can spot my face between my brother Roop and my mother. My younger sister Cynthia can be partly seen leaning on my father.

The interesting aspect of this photo is the car. As a young boy my father has briefed me about how he bought this car. It is a 1947 Renault car bought in the year 1950 from TVS Madurai. Those days my father paid Rs.4000/- for this car when it was almost in brand new condition having been fully redone at TVS. The first owner was “Veena” Balachander a famous exponent on Veena. So when this photo was taken it was an eight year old car.

I remember father telling me that when it was fairly new he had once touched even 70 mph in that car (which was a great feat those days). Father served as Municipal Engineer at Chittor (Andhra) in the early fifties before his posting to Karaikudi. He told me of an incident during the days he was in Chittor. One day he was returning late in the night in this Renault car with the family when he was suddenly stopped at a Check post which he had not seen earlier. Lot of dacoities used to happen those days and so he was worried that it might probably be a dacoit gang trying to stop him at a fake check post. He stopped the car at a distance and told the persons at the Check post that only one person could come near the car to inspect. He also warned them that if they all try to come near the car he would just race ahead without stopping. After a while one guy slowly walked towards the car inspected it and then father just accelerated and left the place. Probably they were genuine persons. He was telling me of this incident to impress on me the pickup of the Renault.

Those days Grandfather used to have a Ford car. Whenever we go on a holiday to our native town Thanjavur we would have two cars. I would make sure that I get into Renault all the time even if it would mean displeasing the Parents at times.  I remember going on a picnic in two cars. My sisters got into Grandfather’s car and myself and my brother Roop got into our Renault. Renault would always beat the Ford. Unfortunately that particular day since we did not see the Ford for quite some time we stopped at a place and waited for that car.  Suddenly the Ford zipped past. I could never forgive my father that day for allowing the Ford to beat us.

The Renault had bucket seats in the front with floor shift gear. The car did not have flashers as indicators. The indicator was an arrow placed on the pillar between the front and back door on either side of the car. At a flick of the button one could see the lighted arrow popping out . The horn control was not on the steering as we now have on the modern cars. It used to be a lever attached to the left side of the steering. The wiper motor was placed under the dashboard, strangely on the left side corner. The switch was on the motor and so in case of rain the driver would have to take the help of the front seat passenger to switch on the wiper.

The Renault was my father’s favourite car. He used to adore the car. We have had some interesting experiences with this car in the later years. When we moved to  Neyveli in 1957we used to drive regularly to Thanjavur to visit our Grandparents. It would take approximately 4 hours to cover the distance of 130 kms. Roads were very bad and almost in every trip we would have at least one flat tire.  I remember in one such trip my father experienced problem with the Brakes and so we had a night halt at Kumbakonam ! On another occasion my father had applied for long leave and had planned to drive with the family to Bangalore.  The car engine developed serious problem a week before the trip and my father spent his entire leave at Neyveli repairing the car. The engine was completely dismantled  and then assembled.  

My father later took a fascination for American cars and switched over to a six cylinder Studebaker Champion in the year 1962. The Renault was sold to a family friend in Neyveli for Rs.1800/-. It served the family well for 12 long years.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment